Saturday, September 24, 2011

Talia Marie White - Senior Photos

Five days ago, on Tuesday, I worked with a young lady named Talia. It was a very great experience, more so than I ever thought it was going to be. The reason is, Talia and I have something in common: we are both connected to Upward Bound. I graduated from the Coe College Upward Bound program in 2007, and this year Talia will be graduating from the Coe College Upward Bound program. 

Upward Bound had such a huge impact on my life. It helped me get over my fear of staying the night places, it helped me with my shyness, and it helped me start to have a taste for travel. I think travel is one of the most important things. I think this because one of the criteria for Upward Bound students to enter the program is the financial situation of the students parents. Upward Bound helps children with low means rise and get to college, when situations at home might not be able to get them there on their own. Not to say parents of Upward Bound students don't try their hardest - mine did - it's just sometimes help is what a person needs. Upward Bound offers that help. 

Anyway, to get back to my point, if you come from a family with low means, you usually don't get to see the world as much as you otherwise might. Upward Bound takes you places. Explores your opportunities. Makes your mind expand to places outside the city you grew up in. Makes you dream. At least, Upward Bound did this for me. I appreciate Upward Bound so much more than I can express. 

Well... as I started to explore my photography business more and more, I decided to offer a promotion: free senior portrait sessions for all Coe College Upward Bound students. 

So far I have three Upward Bound sessions booked, with a fourth trying to get situated on a date. Talia was my first Upward Bound student. 

Every photo I took of her was better and better. She is entirely photogenic, and made it easy and comfortable to get up close and get great shots! There was hardly a bad photo in the bunch that I took of Talia, leaving me with well over 100 different shots I LOVED (and hopefully she will love as well!). 

The best part was the end of the session. Talia's mom, Kathy, looked me in the eyes, shook my hand, and thanked me for my free services. Then Talia ran over to me and gave me a big hug. I could tell she had a really great time. Everyone was a little teary eyed as Kathy said they wouldn't have known what to do without the free session - Talia might not have gotten her senior photos.

I wasn't expecting to feel so good about donating my time and services. Sure, I was happy to do it, and excited about the photo session, but I wasn't expecting such a heart-warming moment. It felt good. It felt really, really good. 

And now... I really can't wait for my next Coe College Upward Bound photo session! 













1 comment:

  1. I was scrolling through Google trying to figure out what specifically is on the inter webs about myself, and came across this. I still am so grateful that you donated your time to help make a really important “graduating senior moment” possible. You are fabulous! So thankful for Upward Bound. It helped me meet awesome people like you!!

    ReplyDelete